Monday, October 18, 2010

to each his own...


Apparently Kanye's cover for his upcoming album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, will be banned in the U.S. ^^ Take a look at the cover, what do yooou think? Sh!t's kinda ugly/nasty, in my opinion, BUT it is his music/creativity he's putting out there. He made a good point in one of his tweets...

"In all honesty ... I really don't be thinking about Wal-Mart when I make my
music or album covers #Kanyeshrug!"

I totally see where he's getting at. (BTW, does he really need to put Kanye in front of "shrug", since he IS Kanye? just a thought). When an artist is focused on making great music and visuals for everyone to enjoy, the last thing on an artist's mind is whether or not it's politically correct to have something labeled as "obscene" stop him from putting out what he wants. On Yeezy's little rant on twitter he mentioned Nirvana having nudity on their album covers, as well as album covers from the 70's...

"In the 70s album covers had actual nudity... It's so funny
that people forget that... Everything has been so commercialized now."

So I checked some album covers from the 70's out. Here are a few that I found...






Here's a comedy album from the 70's from a man named Rudy Ray Moore. He had a few more raunchy covers out during that time.









A rock band by the name of, Scorpions, dropped this album cover in 1979.




And in 1977, an R&B, Funk band used this album cover for an album entitled, Angel.





Overall, the saying "...to each his own..." is very true. One person may find something very creavity and interesting, while another finds the same thing looking like sh!t. Personally, I feel that everyone should be able to put what they want out there. Whether it's Yeezy wanting to put out that album cover OR me posting this on my blog as well as any other post. As an audience, we all have the choice to look at it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment