Thursday, June 24, 2010

PowerHouse 2010

This past Saturday, June 19, 2010, Power 106 hosted PowerHouse 2010 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Ca. I was invited last minute by a "friend" (who we will refer to as "shawwty" ;] haha). We didn't get there early to see J. Cole, Miguel, & others perform for free outside Honda Center, but it's okay. I'm still determined to see J. Cole perform before he really gets really popular... same with Miguel.
My shawwty and my seats weren't the best, but hey, they were free so I wasn't complaining. lol. The show started off with Cali Swag District, Mike Posner, and YG performing their singles. I was excited to see Mike Posner on stage because I'd been a fan since I saw him at The Roxy last year.

After them DJ Mando Fresko came out to introduce Jason Derulo. I thought it was only fitting for him to introduce him because of this. haha. I thought Jason Derulo did a pretty good job considering I'm not so much of a fan of his music. After, was B.O.B. I remember tweeting after his set saying I know why my sister fell in love with him after seeing him live. You don't want to take your eyes off of him when he's on stage. He only did 4 songs, but he made sure to leave an impression. Playboy Tre and Bruno Mars came out with him. I think fell in love with Bruno Mars' voice that night xD After B.O.B, Big Boy's neighborhood (Big Boy, DJ Eman, Jeff G, and Liz Hernandez) came up to introduce the first surprise of the night who was Golden Boy, Oscar de la Hoya, but he was QUICKLY overshadowed when he brought up Ron Artest on stage. Since he was still on his championship high, he performed his single, "Champions". You can find it on my youtube page here.

Next was Baby Bash. I thought he seemed to have been out of place in this line-up, but I was proved wrong by all the fans that were there... especially in my section. I even surprised myself. I caught myself singing all the songs he performed that night. lol. Then out of nowhere, he brought up New Boyz. Why? I don't know why. They don't mesh well in my mind, but he brought them up anyway and they sang "Tie Me Down". He also brought up Iyaz; again, it was really random. He sang "Replay". When he finished, my shawwty and I were taken aback when we saw Danny Trejo lifting up his shirt and walked off stage. lmao

Then came the good part. Yesi Ortiz and Liz Hernandez introduced Trey Songz onto the stage. He knows he can make a girl feel weak in the knees just by standing still. He was definitely teasing all the chicks (and possibly some men) in the audience throughout his set. I almost felt embarrassed to be watching him "explain" how "Neighbors Know My Name" came about with my shawwty next to me. lmfao, but DAYYYUUUMMM! just watch the video so you know what I mean. I would definitely DEFINITELY see him in concert again. In between sets, Big Boy brought up Derek Fisher on stage and the crowd went nuts! He had no single out, so he was only there for a little bit show his face and give everyone a big thank you for the support. haha

Up next was Drake. I was happy to have seen him in concert last year in May at CSULA and from then to now, his stage presence has improved soo much! I'm not gonna say he made me feel like he was performing directly at me like how someone told him in his documentary, but he was really giving it his all on that stage. But I swear, I still see him as Jimmy from Degrassi. When he talks, I hear and see Jimmy Brooks BEFORE he shaved off his funky ass 'fro and was "wheelchair Jimmy". haha. Majority of the songs he did were verses he had on other songs and some songs off his mixtapes. Right before he performed his last song "Over", he brought up none other than The Black Mamba, Mr. MVP himself, number 24, Kobe Bryant! Kobe was literally only on stage for five seconds, but everyone in the venue were up on their feet giving him a standing ovation.

During the day, people were tweeting how there was going to be a surprise set that night. DJ Eric Dlux went on stage and introduced him as the "man with many names", but still didn't say exactly who it was. My guess was Diddy. Lo and behold it WAS Diddy. There were definitely some mixed emotions in my section. I heard a few "boos" when he came on stage, but he kept reassuring us Californians that the WEST SIDE vs. East Side beef is over. Regardless of that, I was half assed rapping along (because I didn't know all the words. lol) with his songs like "I Need A Girl pt. 2" and "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems". Afterward, Ne-Yo came on stage. What can I say about him? He oozes talent. I remember seeing him in concert at CSUN back in '07. Unfortunately, unwanted memories go along with Ne-Yo which is a shame because I think this man is genius. He's a great singer, dancer, songwriter. He's Ne-Yo.

Last up to close the show was Snoop Dogg. Snoop is Snoop. He performed his hits like "Gin & Juice" and "Nothing But A G Thang". I swear, though, right when he hit the stage, all the blunts that people snuck in were lit up in my section. I seriously think I had a contact high from all the weed that was pretty much blown in my face. I think half of my excitement, aside from seeing him perform live for the first time in my life, was being able to see him perform with that special mic of his. haha It also seemed like half of the entertainment came from his outfit/jumpsuit/footsie pajamas. lol. Snoop also had his family up on stage with him throughout his set. IT was cute, cuz you could hear his mom (I think) singing along to the hooks. He also had Kurput and Warren G up with him to do "Ain't No Fun".

All in all, this concert has to be one of my top 5 favorite concerts I've ever been to. Doesn't matter what seat you're in; as long as you're having a real good time and the performer(s) reeling you in, then that deserves top ranking in my book. If you want to see better pictures from that night, go here to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment