Thursday, July 1, 2010

Movie Review: The Last Airbender


Plot: "'Air, Water, Earth, Fire.' Four nations tied by destiny when the Fire Nation launched a brutal war against the others. A century has passed with no hope in sight to change the patch of this destruction. Caught between combat and courage, Aang (Noah Ringer) discovers he is the lone Avatar with the power to manipilate all four elements. Aang teams with Katara (Nicola Peltz), a Waterbender, and her brother, Sokka (Jackson Rathbone), to restore balance to their wartorn world.

Based on the huglely successful Nickelodeon animated TV series, the live-action feature film 'The Last Airbender' is the opening chapter in Aang's struggle to survive."

Earlier today, I watched this movie. I was interested in it, but it wouldn't have been my first choice. But, I'm kinda happy my friends chose this. In the beginning, they have this Star Warsesque thing going on with narration and a scroll. For some reason, when they were giving a whole background to the story, I thought of "Captain Planet" because the four elements eventually all intertwine with the Avatar's heart... or something like that. lol. The acting could have been A LOT better. Everyone's acting was mediocore, if not, amateur. Dev Patel was probably the only one who didn't disappoint me. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for Noah Ringer (Aang) since this is his first big role -he can improve if the next book is picked up - and I think he's an adorable kid who reminded me of my nephew. lol

I know this movie has a lot of mixed reviews (not counting the real critics, but from people I talked to). I was happy to have watched this with a friend who was into the TV series so it was nice to hear what her thought was on the movie since my point of view is biased (I had never been a fan of anime-type cartoons except for Sailor Moon & Pokemon). She was thoroughly disappointed in the movie. She said they left out so many key details that were important for the audience to understand what would happen in the second and third book. But if you're like me, then I think you would like it. Personally for me, it got me interested in wanting to watch the cartoon to see what's missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment